Thursday, March 25, 2010

Another look for less...

The tables Kelly's craving

My living room with my salvaged coffee table

I just saw a table (top) that Kelly at Little French Nest is craving and thought this post might inspire her. Check out her post (and her amazing blog). And here is my follow up comment, which you all might find useful. And don't you just LOVE that mirror in her photo! Let's try to make one... some super-caffeinated day-after-never-gonna-happen.

Kelly, these tables are beautiful! They're very similar to the (outrageously expensive) ones from Vaughan that I've been cyber-stalking for years! (below) Then one lucky day I found a perfect square, glass-top, iron coffee table in a friend's garage. It wasn't the Vaughan, but it had nice lines, a glass top...sort of like finding Mr. Good Enough. The base was dark, rusted iron (she'd used it outdoors). I wired brushed it 'til it should have bled then set to recreating the Vaughan finish. (Sort of like taking Mr. Good Enough to Bradley Cooper's hairdresser.) After I tried many failed gold leaf techniques (don't even bother on something that spindly), I was finally resigned to layering it in various gold leaf paints. I still plan to add some dark undertones with a dry brush technique and then possibly one last try at a little gold leaf. Though the knot design isn't exactly what I'd wanted, it's kept me, my living room and my pocketbook pretty happy. Just saying, you might try it with something if you find one with good proportions and lines--or have one made in plain iron.
the Vaughan table

  sorry for the dark, unprofessional photo
I'd love to know where the ones in your picture are from. TDF! Here are those pricey beauties from Vaughan in all their catalog glory. Those Louis legs still have me swooning.

12 comments:

  1. You sure did get the look for less !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous. Which gold leaf paint did you use or prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comments! The latest paint I've tried is called Liquid Leaf. I get it at Michael's and it comes in a few different shades, which is why I like to layer them. The jars area small but a little goes a long way, though be careful to work quickly because it dries fast. Also, be sure to work in a very well ventilated area. The headaches are scary. I still say you need to sponge in a little oil based blacks and reds before or afterward to really get a rich effect. I use this stuff a lot more than I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that look. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much-I have used the Liquid Leaf before, but layering the different shades is brilliant! I have added you to my blogroll-I have been so busy I just realized you weren't on it. Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Alexandra!!! You are so talented - I love the coffee table. Great post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can never go wrong with tables like these. they're gorgeous. and girl, you are so talented! i'm looking through all your posts and loving what you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. alexandra! what a gorgeous home u have! and yes the coffee table is to die for...thanks for the wonderful comments at my blog. Means so much to me, especially coming from such a talented interior designer like u. I might throw u a few questions along the way if u don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't mind at all. I just hope I can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good advice - and your table turned out great! Marija

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you see the table that eddie ross just showed? it's a lot like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I didn't. I'm off to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. And share this on facebook!