Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Family 4th of July


My family has a long-standing tradition of spending every 4th of July back in Wisconsin. Aunts, uncles, cousins, and multiplying second cousins come home from all over the country to celebrate. It's total Americana: the village parade, the big family bbq, swimming, golf and, of course, fireworks. I would have to say it's definitely our most cherished time together. 

However, for reasons too boring to detail here, my son and I had to stay behind in Los Angeles, while my husband took the girls. Today it's hitting me. Hard. I miss them so much. I even tortured myself by clicking through old photos of 4th's past.






I realized, in my maudlin, mopey state, that 4th of July is my favorite holiday. (I might feel differently in December). I love that this holiday not only brings people outdoors, but it brings us all together. Like tailgating fans in a stadium parking lot, there's a sweet spirit of unity. Despite our differences in politics or geography, on this day we are all part of this American family. Like any family, it has its issues. But I wouldn't want to belong to any other. As with my family, I want to consciously appreciate this country each and every day of the year; its diversity in every aspect, its beauty, and its unique spirit of courage and bravery that instills in each member the will to continually fight for liberty and justice for allSo wherever you are in this land of the free, enjoy your 4th, your freedom and most of all your family.  

Happy 4th of July!



My daughter and niece. Can't believe they're celebrating this 4th as teenagers!



My baby and her "twin" cousin. Born the same day with the same spirit.



My amazing son, who is now 6',2" 


A totally vegan menu for the 4th. 



Try this next year.



The perfect outfit



3 comments:

  1. Hi thanks so much for stopping by...happy you found my blog because now I found yours too and am now following you!

    What an idyllic July 4th..these pictures are incredible. I love special holiday traditions being the sappy sentimentalist that I am:) Beautiful post!! I will be back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6'2 is ridiculous!! I cant wait till my time in the us comes so i can appreciate this holiday! loving the older photos!
    x Eloise - Jazzlipsandtulips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Monday, Alexandra. How wonderful to return from a long weekend away and find your lovely comment. So glad you found me via Tina so that I can follow your blog, as well. Thanks so much for your very kind words! I hope that you enjoyed the weekend even though you were far from your holiday traditions.

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. And share this on facebook!